Monday, February 07, 2005

Thoughts I've Been Thinking

1. Consistancy in disciplining a child is very difficult. Mostly because I'm just plain lazy. If I've told Susanna not to do something 5 times, I don't want to make the effort to open my mouth and say "no" one more time, much less to actually get up and spank her and/or take her away from whatever she is doing. Case in point: Nathan plays the bass and Susanna is fascinated by all his equipment, especially by the amplifier which she can easily get to. She is not allowed to play with the knobs on top. She has been told this umpteen times each day. She has been spanked for doing it. And still she persists. So tonight she is continually going over to the amp and banging on it and touching the knobs (and then turning around and smiling ever-so-sweetly and innocently at me). And I keep saying "no touch!" and smacking her hand and putting her in a different part of the room with different toys and as soon as I do, she is crawling back over to the amp. And after a while, I just want to read my magazine and ignore her. It's not as if she is going to do any major damage to the amplifier that is twice her size. It's not as if previous discipline has done any visible good. And I am tired and wanting to spend my evening doing something enjoyable, not chasing after a naughty little girl. Sometimes I wonder what God feels like when we consistently disobey. Does he ever wish he could just ignore us, pretend we weren't over there turning the knobs and pushing the buttons and looking back with an innocent smile--"I didn't know what you meant by that command!", "I'm not really hurting anything!", "I can't hear you!"? Of course, I know he doesn't ignore us, and if he did, it would only be delayed judgment before sending us straight to hell, seeing as he wouldn't see any need to save us if he didn't care about our disobedience. Which means that if I don't care about Susanna's disobedience, I won't see any need for her salvation either. Scary thought. Need to be more committed to disciplining her, even if it is time- and energy-consuming!

2. If we ever have another kid, I'm not sure I'm going to be getting to church before the sermon most weeks. For some reason, even if I get up on time and have time to spare 30 minutes before I'm supposed to leave for church, something always takes a little longer than planned and we are rushing out the door, getting there at the end of the announcements - end of the first hymn by the time I've got Susanna in the nursery - and it's sermon time before I'm mentally in the service (on a good week!). It makes it extra hard to focus in church when you arrive late, hot, flustered and trying to remember what it was that you think you forgot at home. I'd like to know how mothers with 2 or more kids make it out the door at all.

3. Edy's Samoas Cookie ice cream is REALLY good. They should have it all year round, instead of just during Girl Scout Cookie sale time.

4. Nathan gets home in 20 minutes. I'm looking forward to that.

5. I think I'm done now.

Currently Reading: Don't Make Me Count To Three

No comments: