Saturday, February 19, 2005

Faithfulness and Kitchen Floors

By the way, the last entry answers, at least in part, the question I asked before about how I can glorify God in scrubbing floors and changing diapers. I think in these acts, which are very much unglorious, it glorifies God when I simply do them in obedience and faithfulness to His calling on my life. He has not called all people to change diapers. But He has given us a daughter, and He has given me the work of caring for her during the day, and so when I care for her by removing a sopping wet diaper from her body, I am being faithful to what He has called me to do, and thus glorifying Him. When I scrub the kitchen floor because it is part of my God-given duty as a homemaker, out of a desire to be faithful, and not just because I can't stand walking over sticky patches anymore, there is added to that down-on-my-hands-and-knees grunt work an odd sort of joy. I am doing what I have been called to do by my Heavenly Father, even if it's not "fun" work. God is glorified in my faithfulness, and my joy increases, too. Let me tell you, when Saturday rolls around and I remember that it's Kitchen-and-Bathroom-Cleaning Day, I do not normally rejoice. But as I did my cleaning this afternoon, thinking as I did that this was part of being a faithful servant to my Master, it didn't seem so bad. (And now I don't have to walk over the sticky patches anymore :)

No comments: