Monday, February 28, 2005

Pregnancy Hormones

So had I spilt the beans by Friday, this is what I would have written about:

Female hormones are a funny thing (some guys might object to my use of a positive adjective, but I'm writing this from my own female perspective). Pregnancy tends to exacerbate the effects of these hormones. Case in point: Friday morning, I turned on the TV to check the temperature (I walk in the morning and I like to know how much to bundle Susanna up). They were doing a human interest segment on some children's choir in Tennessee. The state had cut their funding, the poor kids were about to loose their favourite after-school activity, they were planning to do some fundraising, etc., etc. They had some kids talk to the camera about how much they love to sing, how much it means to them. And then the TV reporter tells the kids that they have prepared a surprise for them. The president of First Tennessee Bank comes out with one of those gigantic fake cheques (I still like my Canadian spellings) and says, "To help kick-start your fundraising, we're giving you a cheque for $10,000!" Nice little news story, right? Well I tell you, I started to choke up.And then they brought out some famous country singer and announced that all the kids were going to Las Vegas for the Country Music Awards. It was all I could do to keep from sobbing. It was just so touching, so beautiful, so uplifting to see the smiles on those kids' faces! Or it was just a serious case of hormonal malfunction. And that's only at 5 weeks pregnant. Probably in a few weeks, you won't want to come near me!

No comments: