Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Undone (Lessons From the Laundry)

Yesterday I promised to fill you in on some things I'm learning from doing those never-ending repetitive tasks involved in keeping house. Here's the first one:

Housework reminds me of the futility of the things of this life.

"Then I considered all that my hands had done and the toil I had expended in doing it, and behold, all was vanity and a striving after wind, and there was nothing to be gained under the sun." (Eccl. 2:11) That's housework! Yet the Preacher is talking here about things that actually appear to be great achievements (see verses 4-9)! Just like the sweeping that is done only to be done again (parents of toddlers all nod), all of the achievements of man--even the great and noble strides in history--will one day come to an end. Do you know what your great-great-grandparents did on a daily basis? Do you even know their names? In a few generations, it may well be that no one remembers mine either, and even if they do, they probably won't know much at all about me. There is no hope to be had in the things of this life. They are passing away. WE are passing away, just like the grass of the fields: here one day and gone the next. Life is a vapour.

"Wait!" you say. "I thought you were going to help me find JOY in my housework! Now I'm just depressed." But hold on, because I'm getting there. We need to recognize the futility of our life and works, so we don't put our hope in them and make them our idols. If, every time you iron that same shirt AGAIN, you remind yourself that in and of ourselves, all earthly things and works are exactly like that--FUTILE!, it will help keep you from idolatry and push you to find your hope elsewhere. And then what? Tell you tomorrow :)

No comments: