Monday, September 24, 2012

Birthday Praise

On Saturday, my youngest daughter turned 2. Amidst the birthday celebrations and the wondering where the time went (!), I've also been thinking about the circumstances that followed her birth.

She was born happy and healthy following a relatively quick and uneventful labour (despite the fact that I was a full 2 weeks overdue). For the first week and a half, recovery was as expected, she was growing, and we were adjusting to dealing with 4 kids (actually, I think I still am!). 10 days after she was born, we had the privilege of attending the wedding of a young couple from our church, one that we'd been anticipating for quite a while. We got everyone dressed in their wedding best, including the baby, and headed off for a day of rejoicing. Everyone stayed quiet for the ceremony (not a small feat), and we were enjoying the post-wedding festivities, when all of a sudden, with no real warning, I suddenly began haemorrhaging. Halfway through the reception, we landed in the ER. Not exactly the way I had planned to spend the day (or the next few days, either). We were in tailspin mode. But while I was in the hospital recovering, in the midst of my weakness and anxiety, I spent some time making a list of all the reasons I had to be thankful in these circumstances, and found that my heart was quickly turned from anxiety to praise. I recently came across this list, and thought that in honour of my daughter's birthday, I'd post it here to publicly thank the Lord for His mercies toward us, both in the circumstances and in the people He positioned to serve us. This is verbatim, with the exception of a couple explanatory notes in italics which I've added.

Things To Be Thankful For in the Present "Crisis"

  • that we are not directly financially responsible for all the tests and hospital stay, or for all the hospital visits, surgeries and testing of the past 2 years (Remember this when things are not so expedient as we would like!)
  • that Nathan is now working for an understanding and flexible boss (no need for doctor's notes or the like)... when I had a few miscarriages prior to this pregnancy, a former boss had insinuating that Nathan was lying about it to get out of a day's work
  • that Ruth is allowed to stay with me so that I can continue breastfeeding without hassle
  • that Ruth is staying so calm and sleeping so much in the midst of the upheaval
  • that our church family has been so quick to respond with help, both last night--though for some it meant missing part of a long-anticipated wedding celebration--and with childcare all day today and tomorrow if necessary (Joanne Kerr, Dale Belvedere, Colombe Graham, Lydia Ninaber, among others)
  • that our kids were able to attend church this morning even though we weren't, and that God is sustaining us even though we have been unable to attend for several weeks now
  • that the haemorrhaging began halfway through the reception rather than earlier in the day, so that we could at least enjoy the ceremony, some fellowship afterwards, and half the reception
  • that there was a postpartum nurse at the reception who was quick to help
  • that our church family has been quick to pray for us
  • that God has sustained and grown our marriage in sickness and in health (as well as for richer and for poorer and in joy and in sorrow!)
  • that triage was quiet last night so we could get an ER bed quickly, even if we had a wait a while for the doctor
  • that we did not have to spend the whole night in emerg, but were able to get a room, and even a room to ourselves where Nathan had a hospital bed to sleep on
  • that the ultrasound gave a conclusive result of retained placenta, so that treatment could start and other possible options be ruled out
  • that Nathan thought to grab my wedding favour so that I could enjoy a tasty treat today
  • that the nurses and doctors have been so kind and cheerful (without singing loud songs in the morning!)
  • that the OBGYN on call today was the same one who delivered Ruth, so that I am being cared for by someone familiar
  • that when I passed out last night, there was a nurse, rather than the hard floor, to catch me... on a previous trip to the ER, it WAS the hard floor
  • that we can enjoy laughter in the midst of difficulty
  • that God has kept me content and free of anxiety in a scary situation
  • that my bleeding is under control, even if the cause has not yet been cured
  • that my haemoglobin count had risen so high by the end of the pregnancy that it was able to drop 30 points in 12 hours and still be within reasonable range, and thus a blood transfusion is avoided (had it remained low like it was in June and July, I would have been in trouble!)
  • that iron supplements (and all other necessary medical treatments) are even available to me
  • that I can get up and move around without dizziness or pain, despite the large blood loss
  • that all the bleeding, passing out, testing, bloodwork, waiting, even potential surgery, are the aftermath of the birth of a healthy baby, rather than the result of a fruitless pregnancy
  • that the continued anguish of "labour pains", even as I stare at our beautiful baby girl, are a vivid reminder not only of the curse of sin, but of the hope of a glorious new birth to come, that will be the end of our earthly labour pains!

"Great and amazing are your deeds, 
     O LORD God the Almighty!
Just and true are your ways, 
     O King of the nations!
Who will not fear, O Lord, 
     and glorify your name?
For you alone are holy.
    All nations will come and worship you, 
for your righteous acts have been revealed."
Revelation 15:3-4

And happy birthday, Ruthie!

2 comments:

joannekerr said...

So thankful, along with you, Sarah, for God's mercy & kindness to your family.
Happy birthday, Ruthie!
(and, Susannah, you made a beautiful dress for your sister!)

Susan said...

Thankful, too, Sarah, for the joyful Ruthie, a possible result of your ability to find joy in the middle of difficult circumstances!