Friday, September 21, 2012

Fully Seen (Lessons From the Laundry)

We've talked about the futility of this life, the glorious hope of Christ's finished work, and the unseen effects of our labour on others. Now, fourth and finally, we can rejoice in the midst of the tedium of managing our homes because:

Housework reminds me to hope in the future establishment of all things, my work included, in the new heavens and new earth.

When I'm picking up a pile of Duplos for the 15th time in a day, my soul cries out with the psalmist, "Establish the works of my hands!" (Psalm 90:17) I may not see it now, and I may not see it in 30 years, but the day is coming when that which is unseen will be revealed, and we will all see the permanent results of our labour. Though there will be things done for self that will be burned up, the work that we've done in the name of Christ and to his glory--even work we thought was of little lasting value, like washing the windows--is being built into the permanent temple of God, as an established display of His glory worked through simple, unworthy servants. And when He does away with death and establishes His dwelling with us for all eternity in a new earth, He will glorify Himself by giving us permanent, never-to-be-seen-as-futile-again, joyful work in His kingdom. Yes, we are only given one life to life, and it will soon be past, but what is done for Christ WILL last, be it serving the poor or mopping the kitchen floor! "Therefore, my beloved brothers (and sisters), be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labour is not in vain!" (1 Corinthians 15:58)

Maybe it doesn't make ironing any more fun (I'm not sure that even adding a circus could do that!), but if I can use my futile, soon-to-be-redone housework to remind me of these hope-giving, joy-inspiring truths, that pile of ironing and that sink full of dishes will push me on to a lasting delight in God, what He's done for me in Christ, what He is doing with me in this life to bless my family and others around me, and what He will establish through me for His eternal glory. And that's of such lasting value that it's worth doing that laundry one more time just to grasp it!

No comments: