Monday, January 16, 2006

On Remembering

It's about time for me to head to bed (per New Year's resolution #1: move the bedtime WAY back from 12:30 - we've made it back to about 11:30 at this point - so that I can get up early enough to have devotions before our crazy toddler becomes a distraction and get Nathan some breakfast before he heads to work, seeing as #2 involves drastic improvements on our eating habits, mostly with regards to the cutting out of refined sugars and flours, which may be explained more fully in an upcoming post, although I make no promises - how's that for a whole blog entry just in the parentheses?:-))...

But before I do so, I just want to say that we have been incredibly blessed with two healthy, beautiful children, who, despite all the difficulties associated with child-rearing, are much more than we deserve or even hoped for... some friends of ours found out a few days ago that there is very little chance of them ever having biological children, and as we grieve with them in their suffering, I am reminded how often we take our own children for granted... I am reminded how little I ever even think about the fact that for the last part of highschool and first couple years of university, I was struggling with the possibility of never having children... how rarely do I look at Susanna and Jacob and recall the days of walking through the park on the way home from class and feeling sadness as I watched kids playing with their parents because I was losing hope of ever being able to have any children of my own... in my case, God caused my body to begin working properly (and it was God, because the doctors never could figure out what was wrong in the first place) shortly before Nathan and I started dating, so worry over infertility was never a part of our relationship... but it was certainly a part of my life for several years and yet, I seem to have moved on... forgotten...

Isn't it just so easy to get what we want and then forget the struggles that came before the having? How often do I take any and every blessing for granted? Lord, may this time of weeping with those who weep spur us on also to remember and praise you for all you have given us!

3 comments:

Illusional disfunction said...

it's funny the things i find out about you in your blog entry that i never knew before.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah,

It's been a while, but through the magic of the internet, I've managed to track you down, only to find you have TWO BABIES! I can't believe it! I'm so happy and so proud for you. Please send my kisses to the newborn and don't forget the firstborn either!

All my love, emma

ps, Your cookie story reminded me of when you and I used to make up recipes at your parents place when we were still at school together. Do you evet manage to use the cookie cookbook I gave you for your wedding?

pps, Just so I didn't scare you up there it was Andrew Rennie who passed on your url!

Marlene S. said...

You're trying to get to bed earlier too! When I read Girltalk about the 5 am club a few weeks ago, I thought... impossible. Gotta get to bed earlier first. Well, I'll be sure to think of you tonight when I'm climbing into my jammies BEFORE midnight!