Friday, January 27, 2006

To Your Health!

As mentioned in a previous post, we decided this year to cut refined sugars and flours out of our diet ("refined" modifies "sugars" AND "flours" - my sister asked me after she read the first post why we weren't eating flour anymore). No, we haven't gone wing-nutty... just maybe a little health-nuttish by current cultural standards. We met a couple who eats super healthy but who is quite normal otherwise, and on top of being "normal", they aren't vegetarians. Nothing against vegetarians on my part - I'm not a big meat eater anyway - but Nathan, well, the man needs his red meat. So when this couple, in the process of talking about all the health benefits of eating unprocessed stuff, asked if we might be interested in going in with them on a cow (as in the already slaughtered, made-into-steaks kind), Nathan got intrigued. A week of serious sugar craving (it IS addictive, you know) despite the fact that we were still getting some from the last few "bad" things we were trying to get rid of, followed by another two weeks of more minor adjustments... but this week we are feeling pretty good and I've had more energy the past couple days than I've had in months, even though I'm getting less sleep... and I'm really enjoying trying new recipes with new grains... A small portion of our tax refund will purchase us a grain mill so we can buy our grains in bulk and mill them fresh in our kitchen (even whole grains loose a substantial amount of nutrients a few days after milling) - okay, maybe we are wing-nutty:-)... but I've done a little grain milling in our coffee grinder and the muffins I made tasted better than the same ones made with store-bought flour (and it's cheaper to buy the grain in bulk than the flour).

More on our reasoning, and some recipes, in the coming days (or posts, anyway)...

Now don't worry... we're not into legalism - so if you invite us over for dinner, we'll gladly eat whatever you fix!

3 comments:

Homemanager said...

I'm glad that you found the pancakes good. We have enjoyed them for quite some time now. We don't make anything else.

By the way, I don't think that you are nutty with grains. We have a grain mill, we buy bulk grains and even beans and lentils. Bulk definitely saves you some and it does make a difference in the way that you feel.

Around Christmas time, we indulged in all the sugary treats and they were all delicious, but soon after I caught a good cold and was pretty wiped out. My children and husband also. We are usually not sick. From my experience, too much sugar knocks down my immune system.

So, I hope this encourages you to continue to pursue healthy things for your family. It is right for us to be like the Proverbs 31 woman... :o)

God Bless! Karen

Homemanager said...

I just remembered, when you start to convert to using fresh grains, go slowly. It can cause diarrhea, especially in children. Of course, too much of any thing can be wrong, so use moderation. Maybe a bread in the morning and one either for lunch or dinner but not both. I hope this is helpful. :o)

Marlene S. said...

I'd like to hear more about this topic. We bought 1/2 a cow from a local rancher this year. I've been so pleased. It's great to have it on hand all the time in the freezer, plus I am grateful to have meat that is free of all the junk that the feedlots give the cows that are slaughtered for the grocery chains. Hope you get to enjoy your meat too.