Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Good Music For Bad Days

Music is a gift from God. It is a way of drawing your entire body into focused worship. And when we feel joyful, singing a song of praise is a natural and fitting response. But music is also a great blessing when we are struggling to remember why we should even want to be joyful. Depending on the style, it can energize when the body is tired, or calm when the mind is agitated. And there is something about truth put to music that can lift the soul and nail home reminders of grace in a way that spoken words do not always manage. Music can also be sung or listened to at times when sitting down to meditate on the written Word is not always possible. I make starting the day with Scripture a priority, but once the kids are up and the household is in full spin, a great recourse for those times when my soul is restless and grace seems far away is to put on a good, God-glorifying CD and soak in the truth while I wash the dishes or snuggle the injured kid. Just this morning, one grumpy child affected the mood of the entire household, and seeing as schoolwork wasn't getting done amid the howling anyway, I put a halt to things and we all sat and listened (and I sang along) to a prayer for Jesus to light up our dark morning. It's amazing to me how quickly the kids will often quiet down and listen, too. Now I'll be honest: it doesn't always "work" with the kids the same way it affects me. After the first song, I put on one about how generous God is, and halfway through, two of the kids were back to fighting over who got to lie on a certain pillow! But there are still benefits to listening with the kids. One is that my attitude is lifted to see God's glory and remember his grace, so that even if the kids fight for the rest of the day, I can come at it with a calmer heart. Another is that they are observing a pattern of running to truth in the midst of trial that will hopefully bear fruit later.

I have certain songs and albums that I regularly come back to when I need truth-filled grace for tough days. Some are calm and reflective; some bring weeping; others are energizing or majestic. I've been known to put one or two songs on repeat until my kids beg to listen to something different :) Your musical preferences may be different, but here are some of my favourites (in no particular order):

Come Weary Saints  Sovereign Grace Music (album)
Awaken the Dawn  Keith and Kristyn Getty (album)
Beauty Will Rise  Steven Curtis Chapman (from Beauty Will Rise)
Faithful  Steven Curtis Chapman (from Beauty Will Rise)
Shine Into Our Night  Sovereign Grace Music (from The Gathering)
Generous King  Sovereign Grace Music (from The Gathering)
All I Have Is Christ   Sovereign Grace Music (from The Gathering)
There is a Higher Throne  Keith and Kristyn Getty (from In Christ Alone)
In Christ Alone   Keith and Kristyn Getty (from In Christ Alone)
Looked Upon    Na Band (album)
Just As I Am   Andrew Peterson (from Love and Thunder)
High Noon    Andrew Peterson (from Love and Thunder)
The Silence of God   Andrew Peterson (from Love and Thunder)
After the Last Tear Falls  Andrew Peterson (from Love and Thunder)
Our Song From Age To Age   Sovereign Grace Music (from From Age to Age)
You Never Let Go   Matt Redman (from Passion: Everything Glorious)
Soul Anchor    Michael Card (album)
Unveiled Hope    Michael Card (album)
This Changes Everything    Matt Papa (album)

What are some of your favourite songs that point you to Christ?


No comments: