Thursday, August 23, 2012

Grandparents Are a Blessing

I had the privilege of getting a couple more days up at my parents' cottage with the kids this week (Nathan joined us for one evening). I am so thankful for a peaceful place to go that's only a few hours away, where the kids have toys they haven't seen since last time (you know that makes them all the better, even if it's only been a few weeks!) and the great outdoors beckon--even to my indoor bookworm (and admittedly videophile) of a son. It's also refreshing to have just a few days that aren't taken up with so much normal housekeeping... I don't know about you, but I think I find the everyday upkeep of the household to be far more draining in the long haul than dealing with fights, temper-tantrums, school work and training children.

I'm also exceedingly thankful for loving parents who made a point of giving me some quiet breaks during my youngest kid's naps where they took the older kids on a boating adventure and a library visit (the latter should earn them both Brave Grandparent of the Year awards... taking three noisy kids to a LIBRARY is a big undertaking, even if it's a small community one). Yesterday's outing allowed me to read an entire chapter of a book during conscious daytime hours without getting up at all, and I even had sufficient time remaining for focused prayer about what I'd read. If you've had young kids at home, you know that's a major feat--and a huge blessing! Praise the Lord for grandparents!

So now we're back to everyday life, which has its pleasantries, too. The affordsaid bookworm son commented last time that he loves the cottage, but its sure nice to have a schedule back. Unfortunately, some of us seem to be coming down with something, but at least we have a chance to get it out of our systems before our last Labour Day summer cottage outing and the start of a new school year.

More book blurbs to come after the next trip, and for tomorrow, another side of the thoughts from Sustained By Words.

No comments: