Thursday, August 09, 2012

A Lot of Mercy

I'm making my way through the book of Genesis right now. I think it's been a few years since the last time I read it, and it's amazing to me (though it shouldn't be!) how many things I've missed in past readings. On this particular journey through Genesis, the thing that is standing out to me the most is the incredible mercy of God. I know a lot of people think of the God of the Old Testament as being this angry, vengeful guy, and then along comes the God of the New Testament and he's all love and mercy. But I don't think they've read the Old Testament very carefully (or the New, for that matter--think Ananias and Sapphira). I'm only 22 chapters in, and I've already seen God show mercy to people in the covenant line (Adam, Noah, Abraham, Sarah, Isaac), people out of the covenant line who beg for mercy (Hagar, Abimelech), and people out of the covenant line who completely disregard the mercy they're shown (Cain, Ham). But at this point, the story that has most made me praise God for His amazing mercies is the story of Lot in Genesis 19.

Lot was a righteous man, according to 2 Peter 2:7, daily tormenting his righteous soul over the lawless deeds of Sodom and Gomorrah. But if you read Genesis 19 in isolation, he doesn't come off as particularly "righteous". Yes, he invites angelic strangers into his home and shows them generous hospitality. Yes, he protects them from the men of the city who want to abuse them. But then it quickly goes downhill. Lot offers his own daughters as substitute victims. Then, even though he's seen the power of the angels when they blind the evil men and save him, he hesitates to obey their urging to leave the city. And yet, the LORD being merciful to him (vs. 16), the angels seize him and his family and drag them out of Sodom. He was warned; he was given a chance to obey on his own; he didn't listen. And yet, in mercy, God intervened!

And that's not the end of the story. As soon as Lot has been rescued out of Sodom--immediately after having been shown mercy--the angels tell him to escape to the hills so that he won't be swept away with the cities of the valley. And he says, "I'll go as fast as I can! Thank you so much for saving me!" and runs toward the hills with his family. Oh... no... that's not right. Actually, he says, "Oh, no, my lords. Behold, your servant has found favour in your sight, and you have shown me great kindness in saving my life," (recognizing mercy shown to him). "BUT I CANNOT escape to the hills, lest the disaster overtake me and I die. Behold, this city is near enough to flee to, and it is a little one. Let me escape there--is it not a little one?--and my life will be saved!" (vs. 18-20). Hello? He's just been rescued--shown marvelous mercy!--and now he's making excuses for why he can't obey and please *whine, whine, whine*, couldn't you just spare this teensy, weensy (evil) city and make my life a little easier?! I think I'd have blasted him on the spot!

But God, being rich in mercy and remembering Abraham's pleas on Lot's behalf (vs. 29; cf. Genesis 18:22-33), turns to this whining, reluctant man and says, "Behold, I grant you this favour also, that I will not overthrow the city of which you have spoken. Escape there quickly, for I can do nothing till you arrive there" (vs. 21, 22). And then He waits until Lot arrives safely in that city before He sends the fire on Sodom and Gomorrah.

Mercy. Pure, rich, compassionate, undeserved, amazing mercy!

The story goes on to tell us tales of unbelief on the part of Lot's wife (yes, she received judgement), fear on the part of Lot (You remember that little city that he wanted so badly to live in? He later runs away from it to... you guessed it--the hills!), drunkenness and incest. God knew all that was coming. And yet? Mercy!

So other than just thinking "Wow! God was merciful!", how does this story apply to my life right now, in my home in the midst of my everyday life with my husband and my kids and my neighbours and the grocery store clerk?

Have you ever had a day when you felt like you were getting it all wrong, not carrying out your God-given responsibilities, disbelieving God's word, whining and complaining and making excuses, maybe even sinning in some "big" way? You may be "righteous" in God's sight, but you really blew it this time. You're having a hard time believing God could forgive you. Think of Lot--there's still mercy to be had! In fact, mercy by very definition is for those who don't deserve it. (Otherwise, it's wages.) God has been merciful to snatch us out of the fiery destruction of hell through the death of His own perfect Son on our behalf, even though we didn't want to give up our life in Sodom. And if His mercy runs that deep, how much more will He show daily mercies to those whom He has now made His own children! "Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need" (Hebrews 4:14-16).

Or what if it's your kids who have spent the day demolishing the house, telling you they know better than you, arguing and demanding and generally driving you batty since the moment they woke up? Do you have mercy for them? Is there mercy for the husband who's home from work late again, or who left his socks on the floor again, or who forgot your anniversary again? Is there mercy for the fellow church member who forgot she'd switched nursery duty with you and left you in the lurch? Is there mercy for the lady in front of you in the check-out who is holding everybody up by haggling over the price on 15 different items? If we've been shown such marvelous mercy by God, how can we withhold it from others? "And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all. See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to everyone." (1 Thess. 5:14,15) "But you, beloved, building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life. And have mercy on those who doubt; save others by snatching them out of the fire; to others show mercy with fear, hating even the garment stained by the flesh." (Jude 20-23)

How has God shown you mercy today? And how can you show mercy to others?

No comments: