Saturday, March 26, 2005

Happy Birthday, Susanna!

Well, actually her birthday was yesterday, but I didn't have a chance to get on here and wish her a public happy birthday, so I'm doing it today. It's hard to believe she's already 1 year old... doesn't seem like it's been that long since she was born.

This afternoon, we're having a birthday party for her, and since it's Easter weekend, I've made the cake in the shape of a rabbit (carrot cake with cream cheese frosting - yummy!). I've almost finished the decorating, but I'm trying to be mindful today, in the midst of the gazillion things I want to get done before 4 pm, to take regular time-outs to play with Susanna or read to her or just snuggle. I didn't do that yesterday, and by the end of the day the poor kid was in Super-Cling Mode and very cranky. On her birthday. I felt like a such a terrible mother, I wanted to cry. I'm like Martha - I have lots to do and no time to sit down and just have quality time with the ones I love. And it's so easy for me, especially with a daughter who, for the most part, is content to play by herself much of the day, to go all day and get lots done, and then realize that the only time I spent with her was mealtimes (when I'm plenty distracted anyway). I need to remember that paying attention to my daughter and showing her I care about her is just as important, actually, more important, as having a clean kitchen floor or all the laundry done or an elaborate homemade birthday cake. And that goes for my relationship with God, with Nathan, and with people in general, too. So now I am going to go read Susanna a book.

No comments: