Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Limited: It's What We Are

Have you ever had plans to accomplish something, fully convinced it was a manageable workload, set yourself to work... and unexpectedly come straight up against the sheer wall of human limitations? If you've been human for long, it's probably happened to you at least once! Maybe it was a new job that you felt well-qualified for until you really got into it and realized exactly what it was going to require. Maybe it was a reasonable deadline that you were somehow still rushing, and perhaps failing, to meet at the final wire. Perhaps a party you were excited to plan until a week of the flu took you down. Or maybe it is just the 5-minute job of sweeping the kitchen floor that succumbs to your body's desperate cry for sleep.

Last week was one of those weeks when I found myself against that frustrating wall--more than once (and hence, no blog post). Lots to do but limited time. Lots of people to be around, but limited social energy. And even early in the week when I did feel like I had both time and energy for the things I wanted to do, I was limited by flooding and power outages. More than once, I fell into bed exhausted, still thinking about the 2 or 3 other things I really "should have been able to fit in."

My frustration brought to mind a line from a song by Trip Lee:
You may be thinking you're a beast, but believe me,
You still gotta sleep in the evening,
Gotta eat, need heat when it's freezing.
Yes, I like a little hip hop from time to time. And I frequently need to re-listen to that particular song (Limitations--if you have rdio, you can hear it here), because when it comes to filling my to-do list plate, my eyes are often bigger than my stomach. Sometimes it is pride: "Sure I can pull that off! Who couldn't?" Too often, my self-image is warped; I see myself as a beast, able to haul all kinds of loads and bear all kinds of burdens without breaking a sweat, and far too often, I'm actually surprised to discover that I don't hold up. Sometimes, especially lately, it's ignorance, being unaware of what's really realistic in the face of new circumstances. Since Nathan had his surgery 2 months ago, I've had to take on some tasks that used to be his, and I'm still adjusting to the new requirements. For example, I used to run errands once or at most twice a week, and he would run all the little ones in between on his way home from work. Now I run almost all of them, and for a homebody like me, that's a real energy sapper, and affects what else I'm good for on a given day. But I'm still learning to take that into account. And of course, sometimes it's a mixture of pride and ignorance that's very difficult to pull apart...
So many things we wanna get our hands on,
So many heights we wanna reach that we planned on,
And we was thinking that we just missed our chance, homes,
But ain't reaching long enough no matter what we stand on.
The point of the song and, I suppose, of this post, is that we are created as limited, finite beings, and we need to humbly accept this. But we are also created by the limitless, infinite God of wonders:
He has no hunger; never does he sleep or he slumber.
He's never limited; no enemies can ever come up with a victory;
He's got the 1-UP; he runs us.
I need to remember that I'm a human being with limitations; I can't do it all! But I also need to remember that I'm under the care of the all-powerful, never-failing God who always brings his purposes to completion, even on those days when I hit that wall.

Have you not known? Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He does not faint or grow weary;
his understanding is unsearchable.
He gives power to the faint,
and to him who has no might he increases strength.
Even youths shall faint and be weary,
and young men shall fall exhausted;
but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength;
they shall mount up with wings like eagles;
they shall run and not be weary;
they shall walk and not faint.
(Isaiah 40:28-31)

I've got a couple more thoughts, but due to the limits of time and space, they'll wait for another day.

No comments: