Monday, July 29, 2013

Limited: It's What He Became

My last post was supposed to be Part One, and this was supposed to post shortly thereafter. But due to some limitations, it's now going on two weeks since my first post. This one doesn't require reading the other, but if you'd like to read Part One, it is here.
_________________________________________________________________________

I don't know about you, but I'm not usually a big fan of my limitations. If it were up to me, I think I'd gladly trade the need to eat and sleep for the chance to complete 10 lifetimes of work in one (just the need though... I'd take the occasional nap and have gourmet meals just for fun).  I'd top up my IQ, get the most education possible, and have an unlimited cash flow. Heat wouldn't slow me down and cold wouldn't keep me indoors. Yep, if I could order things "my way", I'd do away with the limitations that keep me from accomplishing the things I want. And of course, it would all be in the interest of mankind in general, right? I mean, some of my ambitions are pretty noble. Well, okay, having things easy wouldn't be too bad for me either.

Of course, there's only one who is not limited, only one who can actually do everything he plans, only one who has the infinite power and goodness to do what is truly best for mankind and the world at large, and that is God. 

That's why I find it pretty shocking to think that God actually made a choice to take on limitations, to live on this earth for 33 years in a human body. He didn't have to; he chose to be limited. The God who is present everywhere came to us as a newborn infant, weighing a mere few kilograms, completely helpless and totally dependent on his mother to provide milk, clean cloths and a warm, dry spot to sleep. The God who knows all things had to learn that those funny wiggling things in front of his face were actually his own fingers. The God whose hands supply the food for all living creatures was himself hungry. The God who created trees and clay and stone had no permanent home in which to lay his weary head. The God who is eternal experienced death on a cross.

Why? Why would anyone, let alone God, choose to take on those very limitations that I so often despise?Because in order for us limited people to be saved out of limitless rebellion, he had to become like us. In order to put himself in our place as a perfect sacrifice for sins, he had to first put himself in our place as a human, and humans are limited.

"Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong slavery.  For surely it is not angels that he helps, but he helps the offspring of Abraham.  Therefore he had to be made like his brothers in every respect, so that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. For because he himself has suffered when tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted." (Hebrews 2:14-18)
The glorious thing about all this is not only that I have a God who became limited for a time in order to free me from death into limitless life (though that were enough!), but I also have a God who understands experiencially what it is to be limited. He doesn't shake his head at my desperate need for sleep in the midst of the legitimate needs of my kids; he's had to go way to rest at times when people were clamouring for healing. He doesn't condemn me when my intellectual limitations just don't allow me to grasp the solution to a problem; he had to spend time learning to tie a sandal and read a book. When I really want to serve in 10 different ministries but am not physically able to be in all those places at the same time, he doesn't look at me and say, "Boy, she sure needs to grow in service!" (though I do). He also had to turn down opportunities because he needed to be somewhere else.

And this encourages me to be faithful in what I can do, by the grace of God, rather than just be frustrated with what I can't (Hebrews 3:1-6, 4:14-16). This encourages me to rest in Christ's perfect record of work rather than putting my self-worth in 10 lifetimes worth of unceasing, unlimited labour (Hebrews 4).

He chose to become limited so that I don't need to be limitless!

1 comment:

joannekerr said...

Great thoughts, Sarah ... and summed up so well in your last line!
Joanne