Friday, September 23, 2005

Out of the Mouths of Infants

Another week gone by and time for another entry... Today is Day #2 of Susanna in the "big girl bed" and so far, so good... *crosses her fingers* We wanted to get her switched over before the new baby arrives, partially because that's what everyone advises (not timing big changes to occur at the same time as other big changes... wouldn't it be nice if we could always control that?!) and partially because I have no desire to spend the first several weeks of sleepless nights with a newborn wondering when my daughter is going to fall/climb out of her bed and come wake me up during one of my middle-of-the-night "naps"! So yesterday morning, we finally got the mattresses to go with the bedframe (twin bed with a trundle which we've pulled out about a foot and a half as a step up and also a fall-breaker if needed), and started her off in it for her afternoon nap. That went well enough that we had her sleep there last night, and she seems to be taking it well. I can't vouch for where she really slept today, but when I peeked in to check on her yesterday afternoon, she was asleep at one end of the bed with her head on the pillow and everything (I'm not actually sure what "and everything" means in that sentence... it just sounded good) She looks so tiny in that humongous (that word looks really odd to me, but I looked it up in the online dictionary and that is indeed how it's spelled) bed... hard to believe that we've got a one-and-a-half-year old who's out of the crib, learning to use a fork, spoon and "big girl cup", talking up a storm and acting more and more like a kid and less and less like a baby... It'll be a little strange getting used to having a newborn around the house again! But he'll be here before we know it... 6 weeks from tomorrow is his EDD (estimated due date)...

On Sunday, Susanna was sick with a cold, so I kept her out of nursery and had her with me at the back of the church service... As much as it is incredibly distracting and occasionally frustrating to have under your care a little person who has not yet learned the art of being quiet and sitting still, this particular time, she was rather amusing. As her basic vocabulary has been increasing, we recently started teaching her some basic "Christian words" such as "Bible", "Jesus", "God", "Lord", "pray" and "Amen". She learned pretty quickly that all of these things go together in some way... So anyway, she didn't want to sit down at all on Sunday and ended up standing in the aisle near my chair, and the whole time, anytime anyone prayed or gave some short meditation from the front, Susanna was sure to yell out "Amen!" and then start saying "Jesus! Lord! God!" and the occasional "happy!" Part of me wanted to keep her quiet, but more of me was just enjoying seeing her "participate" (hey, she was obviously listening as best she could to what was going on) and didn't want to discourage it in the least... During one of the songs, several people had their hands raised and Susanna must have noticed this because she was out in the aisle rocking back and forth on her feet with her hands up as high as she could reach, "singing" (we have to work on melodic lines). No joking. Where is that verse in the Psalms (I think) that says something like "out of the mouths of infants you have ordained praise"?

Anyway, I've really been enjoying having more opportunities for little talks about the Gospel with her, even though she can't yet understand everything, and I think that's been instrumental in the lifting of some of that icky apathy... That and trying to listen to sermons or worship music whenever I have some quieter moments, which I've discovered is a really good way for me to refocus my thoughts on God in the midst of the daily routine... I was actually trying to finish listening to a sermon I started this afternoon, while typing this entry, but wasn't hearing much of it, so now that I've got these thoughts out on the screen - I was going to say "on paper", but I suppose that's an almost obsolete place to put thoughts these days - I'll go back to some C.J. Mahaney on the Holy Spirit... and maybe I'll enjoy another chocolate chip cookie on your behalf while I do so Till next time...
Martha_Martha

No comments: