Monday, January 06, 2014

Prayerful Resolutions, Resolute Prayers

What kind of resolutions have you made this year? Are you the type to make radical, practically unattainable goals that you'll give up 3 weeks from now, or do you fit the profile of the disciplined person who sets attainable goals and won't rest until they are met? Most of us fit into one of these two camps, at least at some point in our lives. I'm typically the latter type: I figure out what I think I can reasonably pull off, and then make sure it gets done (no excuses!). So last year was one of the first years I didn't really make any firm resolutions. Between the puppies, the possibility of a big move, and the scheduling of a major surgery for Nathan, I didn't have any idea what I might be able to accomplish. With the whole year up in the air, I didn't feel the desire to make any goals I didn't know I could keep. No resolutions--I just had a number of big prayers!

Coming into 2014, as I reflect on things I'd like to see by year's end, there are several things that come to mind. But this year, despite our greater stability (and lack of crazy puppy mess), I am realizing that none of my serious desires for this year's life and work are things that I can "pull off". None of them are dependent solely on my effort and discipline. I can't manufacture the money we need to continue on here; I can't make anyone decide that Jesus is worth following; I can invest in relationships, but they are always a two-way street and I don't control the other lane. And I even screw up my lane sometimes! But God has control over all of these things. God can provide; God can save; God can prosper friendships. So I guess this year, I'm left once again with no great resolutions, and several big prayers.

As I think about this, though, it occurs to me that really, it's quite a silly distinction. Do we have any resolutions that we can really accomplish on our own? Do we really have control over our year, even when it starts off looking stable and predictable? And even if the year does go the way we had hoped, even if we lose the weight, never go near the sugar, read all those books, learn that new skill, share the gospel with as many people as we'd vowed, give more money away than we had resolved, if it's all by our own striving, who gets the glory? What does it really matter in the end?

Resolutions aren't bad things... Wandering through life with no goals doesn't often get us anywhere very productive. We are to work out our salvation with fear and trembling (Philippians 2:12). We have responsibility to walk in a manner worthy of the calling we've received. But those of us who are good at meeting our goals on our own often forget that it is God who works in us both to will and to do (Philippians 2:13). In fact, we often set very "reasonable" goals precisely because we don't take into account the grandness and loftiness of the God who is able to do more than all we ask or imagine. And those of us who do have big dreams, but no will to work toward their accomplishment, often get there because we aren't looking to God for the will and the strength to persist even when it hurts. If we all approached our New Year's resolutions as prayers, rather than just goals, how much benefit there would be! 

If we prayed over all of our desires, how much more likely would we be to notice which of them were selfish and wrongly motivated. If we took each of our goals regularly to God in prayer, how much more grace would we have to press on! If we would but press on in prayer, even when a resolution had to be altered or given up because of circumstances beyond our control, how much more would we be able to lay that goal at Jesus' feet and say, "Your will be done." And if, in the end, our resolutions were accomplished, if they had been accomplished by prayer, how much more likely that we would give all the glory to God, rather than claiming it for ourselves and all our effort.

I don't have control over 2014. So I can resolve myself into the ground, or just give up on resolutions altogether. But I'd rather dream dreams, work hard and take all these things--even the small ones--to the throne of the One who does have control over 2014 and all of history with it.
_______________________________________________________________________
Check out this audio post on resolutions from John Piper

No comments: