Monday, December 09, 2013

Postscript

I started my study of Ecclesiastes with little knowledge of the riches that lie within this short book, and ended it with so many things to think about that I really could have written at least twice as many posts as I actually did. Once I got to know him, the awkward cousin actually turned out to be a really great guy! Of course, that should be no surprise, because God does not put superfluous words in his book (Isaiah 55:10,11)

If any of the posts in this series have spurred you to thought, or have resonated with you, or for that matter, if you haven't read any of them and think the Bible is a book that has nothing to say to you, I'd encourage you to read this little book of Ecclesiastes and meditate on the truths in it. I personally started off with the idea that it is an incredibly pessimistic look at life, and came away with more reasons for joy and a greater love for God's Holy Word than I've had in quite a while.

In fact, it strikes me as somewhat sad that it's taken me more than 30 years to really listen to this piece of the Bible. As I said in my intro, there are many things in this book that are a little tricky to understand at first glance, so I suppose it's kind of understandable that it's not the first book preachers choose to preach through, not the book chosen for a small group Bible study, not the natural option for some easy, uplifting personal study. But, like the rest of Scripture, it IS a book with infinite value, and over the course of the month or so that I spent in it (along with an extra several weeks of thinking and writing), it has quickly become one of my favourite books. So why not consider it for a sermon series or a Bible study? Why not read it through in one sitting, a few days in a row (it's pretty short)?

And then, once you've marinated in Ecclesiastes for a little while, consider reading Death By Livingby N.D. Wilson, a book that seems to be largely inspired by Ecclesiastes. I highly, highly recommend this book on living in light of death. You'll laugh; you'll cry; you'll be encouraged to savour the moments of your toil, and die having given your all.


No comments: