Wednesday, October 09, 2013

All Sufficiency

Lately I've become rather uncomfortably aware of the fact that I don't have a whole lot to offer. Time seems to run pretty short these days, what with full days of school that are often followed by evening events. Energy is running even shorter as I pour most of what I have into schooling the kids on the one end and on the other, working toward the growth and development of Liberty Grace Church. Money? Well, we're in the middle of fundraising, and while we're encouraged by the generosity of many and have yet to really truly be in need, we're not exactly sitting on a mountain of cash either. Then there's wisdom needed for new seasons of parenting older kids, and sanity sorely lacking for Round 4 of potty training.

So I regularly need this little reminder from 2 Corinthians 9. It speaks specifically to financial matters, but applies to all of life:

Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly; whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one should give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work.

I'm not the one who needs to have lots to offer. It's God's abundant, sufficient, gracious provision in all things that enables me to do the good work he has called me to, and not just to do it, but to abound in it, and cheerfully, too! So that I can honestly say with Paul (in 2 Cor. 12:), "I will most gladly spend and be spent for your souls!" on behalf of my husband, my kids, my church community, and the many around me who do not know the good news about Jesus.

No comments: