Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Mars and Venus Review a Book

A few days ago, Femina had a post on their blog about girls training their hearts, and one of the points was about girls' tendency to fantasize over characters and romantic situations in books and movies. After reading it, I was trying to explain to Nathan the particular draw that romance has for girls when they read or watch something. I certainly remember many a grade school daydream about some far off day when I would have my own Gilbert Blythe or Almanzo Wilder (not realizing at the time that what I needed was a Nathan Fullerton).

Well, just in case I was tempted to rethink the way girls and boys generally view stories, my oldest daughter and son had a conversation on Friday about Robin Hood, a book my son had just finished reading. It went like this:

Susanna: How do you like that book?
Jacob: I really like it. I think it's one of my favourites.
Susanna: Does Robin Hood marry Maid Marian?
Jacob: No.
Susanna: What?! He has to!
Jacob: No, he doesn't. She isn't even in this book.
Susanna: But she's in the movie!
Jacob: Well, she's not in this book.
Susanna: Well, if he doesn't marry Maid Marian, it can't possibly be a good book!
Jacob: Yes, it can. It has lots of cool stuff and adventures!


1 comment:

Susan said...

Haha - and we're glad you ended up not with Gilbert Blythe or A Wilder Man, but with Nathan. :)